Tuesday 24 May 2011

Pop Quiz Number 6: 1988

Be careful, teddies! Tweetypie has a gun!
It's time for another Pop Quiz! Following in the footsteps of the well-received 1981 Quiz, this is another year-themed underground popathon!

Click the PLAY button on the player below. You will hear 15-30 second snatches of ten underground pop songs that were first released in 1988. There are 5 second moments of silence between each part-tune, which is your Thinking Time. You may PAUSE the player during Thinking Time if you wish to do so. Name each song and its performer to score up to 20 points!

I shall post the answers in the comments section in the near future. Good luck!

5 comments:

  1. Miss Candy Twist28 May 2011 at 04:27

    Spoiler space!
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    #
    1. The Fall -
    2. Nirvana - Love Buzz
    3. The Brilliant Corners - Teenage
    4. The Go-Betweens - Love Is A Sign
    5. The Bats - Treason
    6. I, Ludicrous - Quite Extraordinary
    7.
    8. Talulah Gosh - Bringing Up Baby
    9. The Flatmates - Shimmer
    10. Pixies - Bone Machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's the highest score that anyone has ever posted on one of my quizzes! All answers are correct, so 17/20 to you! That truly is an A*** performance Miss Twist! 1988 was a pretty good year for underground pop tunes, you know - only Nirvana, Pixies and the Mystery Band at number 7 went overground.

    I shall fill in the gaps in due course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew, I was pointed in the direction of your Leire Street pics a while back, and was extremely flattered in an agreeably absurd way. To show you exactly what I mean, I'm writing a football book and would love to use your George Best Hama pic as an illustration! Is there any way to get in touch via email? Nice one. Derek ('out of Yeah Yeah Noh') x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Derek. I shall get back to you within the next day or two with a better quality scan of George. I'll see what else I can dig out as well from the attic. Your book looks like it was just made especially for me! Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two missing answers are...

    1. The Fall - Athlete Cured
    7. Sonic Youth - Total Trash

    There are fewer posts at the moment due to my PC being exceedingly flaky. Bluescreens are the norm rather than the exception at the moment, so a new computer will be sought in the near future. When this happens, I should get back to the usual post per week or thereabouts.

    ReplyDelete