Thursday 3 February 2011

Grape-Nuts, Loo Rolls and Cat Food

All ready for a Heston Blumenthal recipe
I pick up other people's shopping lists whenever I find them. Here's one that both tickled me and confused me at the same time.

Confused? Because I didn't know what Grape-Nuts were! I really had no idea. Are they something you feed your budgie? Are they some sort of aid for indigestion? Perhaps they help with bowel movements? I just assumed that they were a foreign kind of nut (I did know that there are no grape-nut bushes in this country, at least).

It turns out that Grape-Nuts are a breakfast cereal. And all the thousands upon thousands of hours I've spent in supermarket cereal aisles...I'd never ever noticed them. No 100% crunchy goodness for me.

The other thing I noticed about this shopping list is that the person who wrote it can only have been buying all this random stuff so that s/he could follow a Heston Blumenthal recipe. Poached loo roll, drizzled with a Weetabix and cat food foam, anyone? Washed down with a tinned grapefruit juice and bleach cocktail?

Don't try this at home, kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment