Tuesday 30 November 2010

Pleasure City Hip Parade, November 2010

Bad kitty!
The Pleasure City Hip Parade of most-hummed tunes this month could quite easily have exclusively contained twenty tracks by Orange Juice, as I was fortunate enough to receive the Coals To Newcastle box set for my birthday. However, The Notes' Wishing Well has also been much-loved in November (possibly a coincidence, but the words "the notes" feature in the opening couplet of this month's number one tune. I wonder if that's where they took their name from?).

Bearing in mind Edwyn Collins's love of our feathered friends, I have compared November's top five songs to birds:

1. (-) Orange Juice - In A Nutshell (a perfectly-plumed pair of puffins, cuddling up for warmth in a remote island burrow)
2. (2) Betty and the Werewolves - Should I Go To Glasgow? (a splendour of summer swallows, swooping for pond insects)
3. (4) The Notes - Summer Love (a gaggle of gorgeous gannets, divebombing for fish)
4. (-) Orange Juice - Dying Day (a bashful spoonbill)
5. (-) Dum Dum Girls - Throw Aggi Off The Bridge (a flotilla of frustrated winter pochards, milling around waiting to be fed by snowbound humans)
6. (-) Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes - Laughing And Smiling
7. (6) The Notes - Dancing Shoes
8. (-) Orange Juice - Consolation Prize
9. (7) Dum Dum Girls - Stiff Little Fingers
10. (-) The Notes - Those Days, Those Nights
11. (20) The Go-Betweens - Casanova's Last Words
12. (13) Darren Hanlon - All These Things
13. (1) The Go-Betweens - Wait Until June
14. (-) Orange Juice - Three Cheers For Our Side
15. (5) Darren Hanlon - House
16. (-) Orange Juice - I Can't Help Myself
17. (3) The Maladies Of Bellafontaine - Black Biro
18. (-) Househunters - I Am A Mole
19. (-) Fabienne Delsol - Take Your Seat
20. (-) Associates - Nude Spoons

I had Coals To Newcastle on my desk at work recently, when one of my colleagues came up to me, picked up the box and said "ooh, I didn't know you liked George Jones!" Noticing my blank stare, he looked at the cover again and said sheepishly that he...er, didn't have his glasses on.

Will Orange Juice dominate the charts again in December?

No comments:

Post a Comment