Friday 9 July 2010

Indiepop Mansions: The Chesterf!elds

Number one in a new series, wherein I hunt down the former dwellings of some of my favourite artists. It was common for bands on independent labels in pre-internet times to include an address on their record sleeves, so that their fans could write to them. I like to think that pop groups lived together in happy houses full of music and gay frivolity, where they let their creative muses run wild - I thought it would be interesting to view some of the places where my essential listening originated.

Thus, the first band to come under investigation are The Chesterf!elds, purveyors of many fine indiepoppin' tunes, including their third Subway Organization single, Ask Johnny Dee, from which I have taken their 1987 address. From the single's insert, I found that they (or at least one of them!) lived in Gas House Hill, Sherborne, Dorset. Some Sherlock Holmes-style sleuthing revealed that this is on the SW corner of British National Grid square ST6416, literally next door to Sherborne Station (handy for the short train ride to Yeovil!).

View Larger MapTracking the address down even further on Streetview (and this wasn't easy), I came up with the house above as The Chesterf!elds' most likely abode in 1987. Was Kettle written here? I don't have the answer to that, but it looks like a nice place to live from the outside, right on the edge of town, with a pretty view of brightest green grassy fields from the front windows. The one thing that is obviously missing is a blue plaque, an indication of the pop genius that used to live within.

Would you like to know what pop kids wear in the sea? Ask Johnny Dee!

No comments:

Post a Comment